Saturday, January 16, 2010

My Train of Thought is a Few Cars Short!


Okay, I just turned 60 and my memory is not what it used to be. Should I be worried? I know we all forget things sometimes. But lately “sometimes” is occupying more space than it should.


Forgetting names, birthdays and appointments is everyday stuff. We all do it. But when I am in my car driving down the road, and it takes me 15 seconds to remember where I am going....now that is not good.


Last week my husband explained to me (for the 10th time) how to upload a photo on our computer to another application. I really did think it was pretty straight forward, but when I went to do it today......I forgot!

Immediately I got down on my hands and knees and thanked God I am retired. If I can’t remember the smallest of tasks, how could I manage going to work everyday??



I have a system. I make a list. It is divided into two sections, the To Do side and the To Buy side. When I leave the house, I grab my list and go! When I need to refer to my list, I rummage through my purse to retrieve it.

After successfully finding the piece of familiar tablet paper, I realize it is last week’s list!

I start to panic. Did I mail back my movies? And did I really pay the house taxes??

So much for the list.



I’m told that as we get older our “long term” memory starts to kick in. But what if we don’t want it to?? I have spent half my adult life trying to forget some of the stupid things I have said and done in the past. How do we stop this? Can I trade it for something else? Let’s say “long term” memory for the ability to spell again? Now that would be useful!




Well, I have to trust that God knew what he was doing when he created the guidelines for memory. After all, how many of us women would have had a second child if we indeed had “total recall” of the first experience?


So, these days I am trying to accept living in ignorant bliss.

Hopefully, I will forget that I ever had a jawline or a waistline, and drive by the jogging park completely forgetting that is where I was headed!


And as long as I don’t forget where I hid the chocolate...... I can live with it!!














2 comments:

  1. Very funny. You are brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved "..a few cars short". You have a gift!
    Anonymous

    ReplyDelete